LAPD to give Medal of Valor, Purple Heart awards
May 7, 2012
The Los Angeles Police Department will gather to honor more than a dozen of its outstanding officers at a Thursday ceremony in Hollywood.
Police Chief Charlie Beck will present the department’s highest recognition, the Medal of Valor and Purple Heart awards, during a luncheon scheduled for the grand ballroom of the Hollywood & Highland Center. Actress Jamie Lee Curtis will serve as the mistress of ceremonies.
The Los Angeles Police Foundation is the host of the ceremony.
Among the award recipients will be Det. Craig Marquez and Officer Kevin Cotter who helped stopped a gunman on a shooting spree at the intersection of Vine Street and Sunset Boulevard on Dec. 9, 2011.
Here is the full list of honorees:
2012 Medal of Valor Recipients:
- Det. Craig Marquez
- Officer Kevin Cotter
- Officer Fernando Sanchez
- Officer Alejandro Valencia
2012 Purple Heart Recipients:
- Sgt. Michael Flanagan
- Sgt. Stacy Lim
- Officer Franck Peter
- Det. Lovie Nettles (retired)
- Det. Norman Eckles (awarded posthumously)
- Officer Kristina Ripatti (retired)
- Officer James Veenstra (retired)
- Officer Felix Vera (retired)
- Officer Jack Storey (awarded posthumously)
- Officer Joseph Ortega (awarded posthumously)
- Officer Oscar Joel Bryant (awarded posthumously)